Saturday, February 11, 2006

HOSTEL V/S HOME

It was 7.00 in the morning. The smell of sambhar wafted from the kitchen and assailed my nostrils as I was asleep in my room. In the background I could hear suprabhatam being played on the radio and the sound of bells as my grandmother finished her morning puja. The smell of sambhar was too intoxicating to be ignored and I forced my self to get up. “This is life” I thought! As I brushed my teeth took my bath and went down, snow white idlis hot coconut chutney, sambhar and filter coffee were awaiting me. As I sat down to enjoy the kings breakfast I couldn’t help but compare my Sunday in the home with my Sunday in the hostel..

It was 10.30 in the morning. The smell of Anne French wafted from the opposite room and assailed my nostrils as I was asleep in my room. In the background I could hear my room mate’s computer speakers blaring “we will..We will……rock you” and the sound of the plates being dropped with a bang in the mess. The sound of the speakers and the smell of Anne French were too much for me to continue sleeping and I got up thinking “another perfect day in the hostel”. With effort I brushed my teeth, decided against having a bath (I had had my previous bath just day before yesterday night and it seemed a crime to take a bath so soon!!) and went to the mess to have my breakfast. As soon as I reached the mess I heard my roommate scream with agony. As I rushed to her side and asked her what happened she said “an idli fell on my leg”. I couldn’t help smiling because that is precisely how hard the idlis in the mess are!! As I loaded my plate with feeble looking coconut chutney and a bland brown colored liquid with alien particles floating in it(read sambhar) and was about to eat my friend pulled out a long strand of hair from the chutney and waved it in front of my face.. “Blech…” I exclaimed and I wanted to puke. I rushed back to my room without having anything to eat and with the hope that at least the lunch would be palatable!! As tears stung my eyes I couldn’t help but compare my Sunday in the home with my Sunday at hostel!!!

2 comments:

Savita said...

Nice one...
Never stayed in a hostel.. but being another tamilian like you and a lover of classical songs and thayir saadam, i can imagine how life can turn into hell outside home...

Savita said...

I am an avid listener of Rock songs but a part of me still has the penchant for Tamil Carnatic Music...