Wednesday, March 14, 2012

and THIS is pretty much why I teach


So after school I usually take all my naughty kids and personally drop them off home to prevent them from getting into trouble and killing or maiming each other. The other day after dropping off two of them, Gaurav and I were walking hand in hand on the road, him humming Chammak Chalo and me smiling and feeling happy the way I usually do after school.
The best part about me and Gaurav is that no words need to be exchanged between us but we can still keep walking and turning around periodically to smile at each other. It is the best part of my day because Gaurav ALWAYS has a guilty smile which is the kind of smile kids give when they know they have done some mischief. He has this irrespective of whether he has been naughty or not.
So the other day while I was walking with Gaurav, I felt this sudden urgent tug on my hand.

Gaurav: didiiii, didiiiii

Me: What is it Gaurav?

Gaurav: That truck ke peeche. Look

Me: (puzzled): Yes?

Gaurav: I can read what is written on it
(haltingly)
Horn. Ok. Please

"I can read everything now didiiiiii" (wide grin)

It is moments like these that make ALL of it worth it.
The Mumbai rains, the Mumbai trains, the dirty slum, the lecherous men, the rotting garbage, the stuffy classroom, the long, tiring days, the sore throat.
Everything pales in comparison to this one moment when the world around him starts making sense for a child of mine who couldn't write his own name an year ago.

This is why I teach.

P.S: This was my 200th post :)

P.P.S: This is my Gaurav.

My bhai! Mumbhai ka bhai wearing my glasses! :)




4 comments:

Jass said...

Congrats on the 200th! Okay now i ll read the post. :P

Dishit D said...

Congrats on your 200th post!
Good to see you back in the blogging world! :)

Unknown said...

Aww !! Touched a chord with me .
C O N G R A T U LA T I O N S!! on your 200th post and keep them coming .
Read about you meeting up with Meenaks in Chicago in his blog on cognizant blogs . Would love to hear about your experiences at the conference. Miss u on ch1 now c2blogs

Sherlin said...

I don't know why it says unknown ... :) Well the above comment is from Sherlin