Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Bits and pieces from an ordinary life


1. So last week saw me falling down a flight of stairs and severely hurting my bum, so much so that the tissues around my bum are now totally damaged which means I can't sit. At all.
Yes. I shall now pause and wait for you to finish laughing and cracking all the bum jokes that you can think of. I have already cracked the "Sorry yaar, mai bumaar hoon" joke and have had other inconsiderate friends cracking the "How are you? hope you are doing kickass".
And this means I cannot cycle to school for at least a week, which is quite sad given its the only form of physical exercise I get (does shouting at kids, standing all day in a classroom with no electricity and running after kids during recess count by the way?). I really enjoy the early morning ride to school. Helps me plan my day and clear my head. Need to fix this posterior of mine, and fast.
Also these things have a way of happening to me. I was walking carefully down the stairs and the next thing I knew Dham dham dham and my tail bone is now severely injured.

2. Also with the Olympics going on an everything I have been following the news about Olympics on and off. And I have been laughing ever since I heard that the gold medal in trampoline was won by ..... wait for it... Dong Dong! -
HAHHAHAHHAHHHAHHAHHHAH.
but seriously. The only thing I can think of is that his parents named him after they heard the noise he made while jumping on the trampoline when he was a baby. Dong Dong Dong Dong.
Also I am curious to know if he has a brother called Ding and another one called Bell. Also is Dong both his first AND last name? Now that would be seriously funny!
And do people in his house rush to the door every time they hear his name because you know, how does one differentiate between a doorbell and a name like Dong Dong.
Here's the link by the way - DONG DONG

3. Teaching third grade kids who don't understand a word of English has to be the MOST challenging thing I ever did. (a close second would be watching half an Emraan Hashmi movie.) I realise that to make them understand I am increasingly beginning to talk like a retard. "You go house and write homework" I said yesterday and mentally kicked myself for how awful my english had become. In my defense when they dont know what home means and finish means I cant really say "Go home and finish homework" no?. Also the kind of questions I am being asked are quite legendary. So I was teaching subtraction with borrow and the number was 912 - 678 and this kid says "Miss tens so poor, have only one number. I borrow directly from hundreds? Yes?" and proceeded to do just that. kept the 1 in 912 intact and borrowed two times from 9 instead! Sighness. And dont you DARE say, oh my what a creative child because I will kick you where it hurts!

4. The weekend also saw me watching Ice Age 2 (where I had to constantly shift positions from one bum to the other because well, I cant sit properly without pain otherwise. This qualifies as the MOST embarrassing and uncomfortable injury ever and I have had some serious injuries before.)
I LOVED the movie and it made me wish I was IN the ice age while the continent drifted apart. SO MUCH coolness. Wow. Also Diego gets a girlfriend! :)
And Sid is still my favorite ice age character. My favorite scene is when Manny says "Diego is suffering from the L word" and Sid says "Leprosy?" and Manny says "No. It starts with an L and ends with an E" and Sid says, "Lice?". Hahahha! Also, there is an Indian villain in the movie who is called Gupta! Heh! Do watch it. The 3D is not great but the movie is awesome

5. And tomorrow is a HOLIDAY! Yay! :D. I am probably more excited than my kids at having a holiday. Its my first one in two months and if you have ever been a primary school teacher you will know how hectic and awfully busy the first two months of school can be. Both professionally and personally I have been SO busy in the past two months that its not even funny. Tomorrow I shall reply to emails from friends which have been languishing in my inbox for ages (Sorry B, tomorrow your mails shall be replied to!), tomorrow I shall clean my cupboard, tomorrow I will finish reading an entire book, tomorrow I will go for a long walk (weather in Chennai is lovely), tomorrow I will go and treat myself to some chocolate ice cream, tomorrow I will watch  "Through sunglasses", an Iranian movie which I have been meaning to watch for errr- 2 years now. (I should just get back to watching more world cinema.)
Though knowing me I know that I will probably just spend it correcting papers and making worksheets and entering data and crying at how my kids have STILL not mastered subtraction with borrow despite me drilling it for two months. Sighness!

7 comments:

Jass said...

New post! Me likey! But wait... this thing doesn't even a like button!

I think that's how sad the future is going to be, imagine people in the future go, "Oh! i want to like it but I cannot because.. because it din't have a like button.

*shudder*

Yes, the future is a much dumber place I believe. And I seem to be getting there sooner than I'd like.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/quotes?qt=qt0427933

Revs said...

@Jass
Oh THANK GOD!
i thought i was the only one talking like a retard. But turns out that you talk like one too.
My excuse is that I teach 6 year olds. Whats yours?

honestly, WTF was that man? :-|

Rajlakshmi said...

hahaha oh poor you .. what an ordeal :D I too loved ice age 4 :D awesome movie :D

Sanket said...

Still can't stop laughing at your injury :P :P Only you can get injured at such places, Revs!! Sorry!!

Balaji Srinivasan said...

Ordinary life? This is what I call bindaASS. :-P

Ashwin Singh said...

Hey you got a beautiful blog...even I got a blog on poems.. which are original and are my own work... hope you could get sometime in your busy schedule to check them once...please visit to encourage me....
love,
www.poetashwin.blogspot.com

Revacious said...

Duuude, are you me??
No, this is not a troll/spam message, I just came here following a link to your kicking-a-guy-in-balls post (legendary, btw.)

So.. the similarities?
I'm a south Indian identity-confused person too. Stayed in Gujarat for 1 year, btw.
I teach children (orphans) as part of volunteering for an organisation called Bhumi. (Not as awesome as TFI, but it's still a similarity).
I've been hurt in probably the same place you're referring (coccyx?), and am sitting in a hard-surface stool with my bum hanging out as I type. (I know you won't laugh about this.. please?)
And.. I'm pretty sure we both have the same name. (check my blog URL)
Also, if you do check my blog, that template has been there since God-knows-when. Yes, the exact same template.

Oh, btw, funny post. :P