Saturday, March 02, 2019

It's been four years since I visited this space
Forget writing, I haven't even been visiting it. So much has happened. Life has taken over. Things can be said on whatsapp and twitter and in short bursts on a video call, recorded message and no one wants to write (or read) anything that is longer than 140 characters.
But that's not the point. I am here because I made a resolution this year that I would do more of things I like. Read more, Write more, Talk to friends more, Be in touch more, Do things I don't usually do more.
It has taken me two months to sit down and write anything but here I am :)

In other news, I now have two children. twins! A boy and a girl. Two years old! Adorable little things running around doing things that I would normally find really annoying but find beautiful in my own spawn.
This parenting is a strange, wonderful, exhilarating, horrifying, amusing, heart wrenching and soul searching roller coaster. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone but would also enthusiastically recommend it to everyone, if you know what I mean.
My biggest lesson from parenting (and parenting twins at that!) has been that you can't win this parenting game. It is a conspiracy which all parents are part of and no one will tell you this but you basically get yourselves into something you know you can't/won't win. Right when you think you have got it and you are coasting, a child of yours will throw you a curveball you didn't see coming and then it's really back to square one. And it's a little unsettling because all these 33 years on the planet, I was the one throwing curveballs at my parents and watching them be flummoxed, and now it's me.

My kids are at that adorable age when they have just started talking and everything in the world is worth knowing and worth learning and worth repeating.
They say pannati for pattani
Iladi for Idli
Aminal for Animal
Onjiliko for Olinjiko
And I can't get enough of both of them right now. I know I may not always feel like this but I feel like this today so thought I would record it.
This has been a random bunch of unrelated, poorly written, wtf ramblings but a skill I haven't used/practiced for almost 8 years now is going to take some time coming back. No?



No comments: