Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Late on Sunday evening one of the most loving and nicest human beings I have ever known passed away...Maami...a close relation of mine. I do not want to spoil the beauty of my relationship with maami by elucidating how she was related to me. Very few ppl would actually understand what my sister and I have shared with her.

For the past year (11 months to be precise) I have seen her fight a losing battle with blood cancer. I have seen the cancer slowly eat into her body in a slow tortuous way...In all these months I have seen her resolve break very rarely. even as I write this tears well up in my eyes as I think of the way maami was 11 months back, full of life, a zest to live and cheerful and a few weeks back when she was nothing but a bag of bones -some flesh here a muscle there. After watching the cancer eat away maami with vengeance I have come to the conclusion that death by any other means other than cancer is welcome.. the last four five months have been living hell for maami's family with each new medicine promising new hope and then failing miserably after maami's frail body refused to accept it...I think every well wishers prayer over the last few months has been a peaceful death for maami.

And for the people she leaves behind mourning for her...what can I say??? I have always maintained that it is the people that a dead person leaves behind who are to be pitied more than the person... She leaves behind a man who has been hopelessly dependent on her for the past 40 yrs for every small need of his. I really cannot imagine maama without his better half and needless to say he is devastated by her death

She leaves behind a son and a daughter (who come second and third in being the nicest ppl I know by the way) who have been hopelessly praying that a miracle just might cure their mother. I think the worst thing about the whole affair was that both the son and daughter are living in the US and hence were unable to be with her day and night in the last few months. I really can’t imagine what they must be going through because I can’t imagine just getting up one day and realising u don’t have a mother anymore. Even if u pay a million dollars u can never ever see her again, talk to her touch her. Reality bites and Death can be a cruel but efficient reminder of realities.

I can’t forget all those navratris when maami has called my sister and me to visit her house and would ALWAYS have some trinket for us when we left. How she cared for us like a grandmother, the way she genuinely blessed us to have great careers and a good life. I have never noticed anything false about this lady and that is saying something because I am a VERY cynical person and it takes me quite some time to like someone...I don’t think I can write anything more mainly because I cannot seem to type any further and also because I m not qualified enough to write anything more about her.

This is a tribute to a person who loved to live and lived to love...
May her soul rest in peace...

3 comments:

Harish said...

I remember seeing my periyappa pass away before my own eyes. He suffered from Brain Tumour.
The loss of mother in ones life is irreplaceable. As u said "Even if u pay a million dollars u can never ever see her again, talk to her touch her"
The very thought gives me creeps...

Ragesh said...

Oh.. sorry Rev.. my condolences..

Preethi Ramanan said...

"This is a tribute to a person who loved to live and lived to love...
May her soul rest in peace..."

Amen!! is all i can say...