Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Idiots par excellence!

Whenever I go to sangeetha (a famous chain of restaurants here in Chennai) I invariably always order the ghee roast or one of their other dosas. Not because they have the best dosas in the world but because their dosas are closest to what amma makes. So every time I feel homesick I go to sangeetha for the aathu saapadu experience. Despite the flaws the dosa has I like it because I feel close to home.

I would say the same of 3 idiots. It may not be the best movie made, it may not be flawless, the story in parts may have a lot of holes, but it took me back to the four best years of my life. 4 years of engineering. Every scene, almost every character was something I could instantly relate to.

In the first scene when megabyte and kilobyte are introduced it reminded me of Ganguly who was born within a week of our arriving in hostel and for whom we cared for all the four years of college life.

The movie reminded me of the umpteen times when my friends and I would sit outside the hostel at 3 in the morning with a packet of murukku or chips (minus the alcohol of course ;)), stare at the stars and moon, berate the educational system and shout “Die M*th*ra d*v*, die. May your soul burn in hell u miserable piece of rotting flesh”. MD was one of the most loathed professors on campus MAINLY because she knew nothing, was a failure in life and hence liked to pick on all students if they did well.

It reminded me of the various Chaturs that I have come across while doing engineering whose only motto in life was marks and who would do anything to get them and who passed out of engineering having a percentage aggregate inversely proportional to the friends they had.

It reminded me of the days when results would come out and all of us would crowd around the computer to see that magic last column of “P”s which meant all pass. Only a week later would we be bothered to look at the marks. On the day of the results all that mattered was the column of Ps.

It reminded me of the time when inspite of having Ps we would all sit and cry because one of us would have that loathsome dreaded F.

“The only thing which saddens you more than a friend who has failed is a friend who has topped” says Madhavan in the movie. A truer word was never spoken.

Personally I could relate totally and absolutely to Madhavan’s character because Madhavan’s character was so totally me during engineering. Never doing very well, never having the guts to actually stand up and speak out against the system, always the person right in the middle of some mischief, always the “tinka” in some professors eye, never having the courage to actually pursue what I really wanted to, loathing engineering while enjoying every minute of my hostel life.

If you have ever seen people succumb to the pressures of engineering, if you have ever wondered why in hells name does it matter whether you read books written by two useless Bakshi brothers on electronics and electrical engineering which anyway they copied from “foreign authors”, if you don’t remember jack shit of what a capacitor does or what color wires are what in circuits lab or what control systems are, if you have wondered how 2500 lines of doubly linked list code (shamelessly copied from logic and ragesh - the two guys who really deserved to be computer science engineers) would help you get a job, if you have had friends whose parents weren’t very well off but who were excellent human beings, if you have had useless friends whose ideas of achievement were watching 4 movies back to back or sleeping 38 hours at a stretch, if you have cried more for a friend than for yourself, if you were at even one point of time in engineering willing to give your life for your friends, if you valued friendships more than silly marks, if you have hated all or most of your professors in college because they were cretins, if you have spent the 12 precious hours before the exams sitting in the hostel mess ,drinking chai and discussing the Indian educational system and its faults, if you have stared at an exam question paper and lost the blood on your face because not a single question looked familiar to you, if you have had professors saying gems like, “what is this smell coming out of my backside? I don’t like it”…

if you have done any of the above you will most definitely enjoy and love 3 idiots

I am not saying the movie didn’t have its WTF moments

You don’t try to look for your closest bosom friend for 10 long years and finally when u decide to do, its because the nerd of your class wanted to prove a point? - WTF

You wont send an invite to your closest friend for your wedding just because you don’t know where he is? - WTF.

You say Aaal izzz well and a still born baby jumps to life - WTF

You use a vaccum cleaner to pump out a baby out of the mother? - epic WTF (they could have proved that he was an excellent engineer in a million other ways.)

And so on. But at the end of the movie I walked out of the hall feeling all warm and gooey and nice inside, not to mention the salty water in my pupils which resulted out of my thinking about my college days, my friends, the food and a gazillion different things. it’s a movie which is a laugh riot in the first half, so much so that you laugh so much for one scene your laughter drowns the humor in the next dialogue so u control those guffaws so u don’t miss the jokes.
Especially the speech given by Chatur is HILARIOUS. (an amazing actor.).

Enough said. Please watch the movie. :-)

9 comments:

Vinu said...

I liked the movie too...minus the flaws of course...

Add flaw: Most of the jokes are stuff that is found online. Clever witty wisecracks...

But one of the finer movies that have come out recently...! :)

The Survivor said...

That was a good review and experience to talk about.

The movie has its flaws, somehow seeing the movie I think if it would have been based on the book, it would have done wonders.

I really enjoyed the moment when Chamatkar ka Balatkar ho gaya :D

LOGIC said...

I havent watched the movie completely, but can feel the impact.

ROFL on MD.

Thanks for attributing code-copying. If only computer science engineering meant only programming i would have had a better credentials. Thanks to Education system again, i was a miserable failure in college.
I was almost the guy who did the helicopter project(not that my proj was as excellent as that), thanks to VIRUS(you know who &^*#$ and #$^&*%) but for friends and few other kind enough staff.

Am still sad that our institutions including our college has loads of VIRUS's. Someone please write an AntiVirus for this..

Rajlakshmi said...

nice review there :)
i just loved the movie... ya it had its WTF moments but still the overall warm and lovely feeling it gave is praiseworthy :)

Balaji Srinivasan said...

To me, Chatur is the stand out performer in the movie. :) He totally rocks! :-D

I guess I'm the only soul who disliked this movie. No doubt there were moments that would undoubtedly throw one back in time to college days.. but still WTF moments were too disgusting. I suffered through the last 45 mins :|

Another mistake was I went in hoping that it was based on fps. There were few excellent scenes which are not in fps.. but i'd ve preferred fps.


Damn, I miss my college days too! :(

Sanjeev said...

nice blog :) aah.. college days.. they were the best :)

Jass said...

Going to watch it today. Let see how it turns out to be.. :)

GoodEarth said...

nice review gal!
havent watched it... not planning to either
and am determined i would not like it jus like the "idiot"ic book!

Ragesh said...

Hey! After long time, I am stopping on your blog, saw my name being attributed! thanks thanks! I am flattered. Humorous post always, just skimmed through. Will come and read again later, like a ruminating cow he he . btw to continue my mokkai, a doubly linked can be easily and elegantly written in <250 lines! LOL!, sorry cud n't resist :p