Monday, September 25, 2006

NAVRATRI

Its been five yrs since I left Gujarat...I have been living in Chennai for the past five years and I just love this place...I have never ever missed Gujarat even once. ..Trust me...Maybe because I m the kind of person who just adapts and blends with the surroundings but seriously I have fallen head over heels in love with Chennai. Except for those nine days in the year...Those nine days which just personify the word celebration if I had been in gujarat...Yeah I m talking about navratri and garba celebrations...oh man....do I miss Gujarat or what???
Here in Chennai navratri is stacking up dolls on an odd number of shelves and calling virgin girls to sing...No, I m not a cynic...I love golu too but nothing ,absolutely nothing beats the enthusiasm and fun of those nine days of dancing...Phew!! Even just thinking about the amount of energy which is exuded each night makes me tired…Dancing till 2 and 3 in the night in wonderful dresses ,the best thing I like about garba is that young and old alike dance away to glory with everyone and without a care in the world…and the music and beats are just outta the world…it is a perfect mélange of fun, excitement and friendship…some of the best times that I have had in Gujarat have been during navratri…
Here in Chennai no one even knows what garba or dandia raas is…hilariously the word garba is very similar to the tamil word for pregnancy (garbam) and when I ask people if they like garba I get these really weird looks because of which I have even stopped using the word garba…I have had enough of people looking at me like I m a weirdo escaped from a mental asylum…
Sigh!!! I could just kill to go to Gujarat now, spend nine days and then be back in Chennai which is really where I belong…I wonder when I will learn to strike a balance between the Gujarati and the Iyer inside me???

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey i too lik tat dandia dance n beats but i never danced tat.. don worry revs sometim vl do tat in some dandia nite ere.. ok va???

-hema :)

Prashant said...

Well sis....believe me i dunno if things have changes since u have been there but this is the time for for fun ( and i mean fun un the mating sense of the word ) as its the only time that the gals of Guj get an opportunity to step out of their houses till late in nite...so my advice to u is....stay in chennai and enjoy the golu...unless.........

Preethi Ramanan said...

Ha ha ha dear bro.. which world are you in, huh??? If u are under the wrong impression that the girls in chennai dont get that kind of "chance" that you are hinting at and need a measly excuse like "garba" to do it, then i am sorry to say there are a lot of other avenues... Infact Shruthi will be able to tell you :) ha ha ha....

Prashant said...

Preetu,
Then how come u got married to experience it and did not experience it the Chennai way?????:-) :-)

PS: If I am being too mean, I MEANT IT....HE HE HE....

Prashant said...

I guess things have moved on.....Good to see that.....Hey by the way may be visiting Chnnai on the 7th...The keyword is May....

Prashant said...

I guess things have moved on.....Good to see that.....Hey by the way may be visiting Chnnai on the 7th...The keyword is May....