Thursday, May 24, 2007

Its Funny

Though it might sound very funny I am finding it very difficult to adjust to my life at home. Home is the place where one is most comfortable and finds all the pleasures of the world and still I feel so out of place. Each morning when I get up it feels funny to get up to the smell of clean sheets and burning incense and an empty other half of the bed after being used to getting up to the smell of unwashed dirty linen and the presence of my huge roommate on the other half of the bed. In my sleepy state I shuffle for my cell and my bathroom slippers only to realize that I am home and have no use for these things. While going to brush my teeth I brace myself for the toothpaste hunt and then realize that a new fat tube of toothpaste is staring at me from the shelf. Its funny. After being so used to the ways of the hostel I am finding it difficult to adjust at home. Its funny when my dad comes and wakes me up at 5.00 and says “you never get any exercise. Lets go jogging” and I feel like telling him “Dude!!! Get a life and a watch. Do u have any idea what the time is. How can u go around waking up people in the middle of the night like a banshee”. But of course he being my father I refrain from saying those words. Its funny when my mom tells me “you are 21. you have attained marriageable age. U better learn to cook”. The woman who has never let me enter her kitchen for fear of me converting it into a disaster zone is now giving me responsibilities and asking me to cook, clean, water the plants (it’s a different issue that I never do any of that). Its funny when I realize that I can eat how many ever papad’s I want to without the mess workers telling me that I am allowed only one(papad’s are the only edible things in our mess). It feels funny to enjoy all the food that’s on the table and have mom cook what u like. It feels funny to have the computer all to yourself without having to share it with twenty different people on the floor. It feels funny when I try searching for a bucket while going to take bath and then realize that this is home and bucket, soap and all the luxuries are available is in the bathroom itself. Its funny when I hear a particular song and excitedly look around to tell someone “machi!!thats our song they are playing” and realize I am sitting in a empty room whose silence is deafening after being used to the constant din at hostel. Its funny when mom comes at 10 in the night and tells me “still awake??? Its so late. U better go to bed” and I feel like telling her that this is the time we usually get up after our afternoon nap in the hostel and start having fun. My life at home feels very very funny but when I go to sleep at night and silent tears fall down my cheek and I wish I were back on my smelly sheets in hostel, back to the disgusting mess food and back with all my friends, that is when it stops being funny.

P.S: this I think is my third nostalgic post about college and hostel life but I cant help it. I miss that life so much!!!!:( :(

7 comments:

emilia izieyana said...

auww, me to. i miss it there, but atleast i'm only on my semester brake, i'm going back to my u in july, but i still can feel ur "lost" he he, in my case, just in time ur system has adjust to be comfortable staying home, is time to go back again... hu hu hu

Ragesh said...

cool one dude, hmm ya very nostalgic and kinda touching towards the end..

R@hul said...

Nostalgia huh?!!... Good. But how in God's Green Earth can you think that finding a toothpaste early in the morning is funny?
Did you forget all those precious 15-minutes-to-class spent trying to find paste? Did you forget running not only in your wing but also in all other wings of your hostel begging for some paste? NO WAY....!!!!

Personally, when the toothpaste stares at me from the shelf at home, it feels like heaven is somewhere nearby and all the angels are shining their glorious light down upon me.

Sheks said...

Call it withdrawal symptoms!

hema : ) said...

revs tat was soooooo touchin..
im yet to feel al those as im stil stayin in hostel enjoyin de last few days der.. i dread to think abt life at home after hearin al tis.. :(

Ashwin said...

"A computer all for yourself and need not share with 20 other people" - Then why are you bullying the most paavam preethi, when she is vying for the net?

BTW ask P if she misses Ducky Boy

aki said...

hey revs...
that was simply superb...my life is still the same except the song part.....of cos noo system.... but the tears....hmmm...get lost...i don wanna cry...