Sunday, November 04, 2007

Marriage??? Naaah!!Not for me!! Thank you

What is it with all relatives and “well-wishers”. Why cant they just let me be. I just finished my engineering 6 months back and already elderly relatives and well wishers have started telling my parents that “if they are interested and if shruthi (me) is interested” they know this third cousins, brothers, neighbors son who has finished his MS in some university in US and is waiting to get married. I m NOT interested. I m 22 and yes child marriage is still banned in India. So all u people think twice before saying such things because before u know it I will report u to the police and see that u spend the rest of ur lives behind bars for getting a child married.


Jokes apart I am totally not interested. And what irritate me more are the double standards. Why is it that boys my age or those elder than me are only asked questions like “what are u planning to do next??” or “you must study further if u have to support a family” or “why don’t u switch companies. This other one I heard pays much better” and the only things which I get to hear are “there is this good boy..” or “don’t work too hard. After marriage u will have to take it easy” or “maybe u should learn to cook”. Thank god my parents haven’t yet been influenced and have turned a deaf ear to all those “eligible” alliances. Why girls?? A few days back in the metro plus there was this saying which I liked a lot which said “I am still to hear a man ask the question “how do I mange my family and work””. That is sooooo true. Don’t say hogwash like “we are modern. We are broad minded” if u think that women working after marriage is not cool or if u think that at 22 a women must marry and immediately start reproducing. We have our dreams and aspirations and we would be very glad that if they are respected.


When I tell people I don’t want to get married now or ever they don’t listen to me. They say irritating stuff like “yeah!! Thats what everyone says now but heh heh heh…. After a year or two ur outlook will completely change”. My “outlook” hasn’t changed for the past 22 years and its unlikely that it ll change now. I do not I repeat DO NOT understand the institution of marriage. If the only purpose is to have kids there are a million orphaned kids out there who would love to have a home. Why not adopt? If its companionship u r looking for get a dog. They don’t leave wet towels on the bed, they don’t scream or fight, they don’t shop, they don’t nag. In short they are perfect!!


I am perfectly comfortable in my own skin and love being alone with my books, my music and myself. I m not marriage material. I have 0 patience, am very short tempered, cant cook, hate clean houses, cant get up early if u gave me a million dollars and cant for the life of me wear a sari and sit for 4 hours in front of smoke “getting” married. Ewwww

I am sorry if this blog comes across as being irritable and peevish but that’s exactly how I am feeling right now!! And I know my blog looks sad and the quality of my posts has gone down drastically (not that the quality was very high or anything but in relative comparison I am writing really sad posts now!!). will do something to remedy that soon. Till then keep visiting!! :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny Revathi. I laughed so hard after reading this.
I really loved it. Excellent job.

Rumya

Sheks said...

Well written.I have faced questions like "What's your sister going to do after graduating? Marriage?".In such circumstances,ignorance is bliss.

AG said...

Nice thoughts really! Surprisingly I just wrote something on similar lines in my blog a couple of days back!

Dinesh said...

I can hear the nadaswaram in the background ;-)

Archana Raghuram said...

Revs, this bought memories of another similar post Praveen wrote on CH1B!!! If you thought only women faced this problem, think again. And I second you lady, 22 is too young to be married.

Have fun, enjoy life and then think of marraige.

Project 71 said...

Hi! My name is Project 71. Weird name I know, but my masters are weird too. My masters apologize for such an out-of-context comment and they know how painful such spamlike comments are. But, say masters, how else are we to present something good to the world. By that they mean me :D. Kindly see what I am about. Won't take you more than 22s to read... http://www.project71.com/readme Enjoyy!

abishek said...

it cant be all that bad..... id like to say quit hyperventilating, but since this is prbly a serious issue with you, i wont say anything. :D :D

Suchithra Ramaswamy said...

hey Reva,
This post was excellent. I used to think on similar lines until something... something... something happened. Sometimes I wish I can turn back time. Oh those times of hating married life. I miss them :(

Suchithra Ramaswamy

Anonymous said...

Cool..! Nice writeup..Wife(ofcourse mine) and I ,read and shared the laughter..anyways, it is normal stuff da....well, unless and until, u get married, u can't say !! :-) btw, u can still get chance to get up late,provided u like it at that time too...pheewwww....Bye...