Sunday, May 04, 2008

A couple of days back I cleared an exam which I was supposed to take and clear so I could become a confirmed employee of cognizant. I wasted the whole of May day studying and trying to find out if EJBHome can be used only to create a bean or if it can be used to both create and remove session beans (or was it entity beans!! Whatever!!). Till a week back I didn’t even know what EJB stood for and now that’s the only thing about EJBs that I know. That it stands for Enterprise Java Bean. Its depressing. I have no clue why I am being made to write this exam where I am being forced to study technology which I will never use in my project, which I forgot the minute I cleared the exam. But I had to write it because only then I could hope to remain employed.

So I started studying two days before the exam. Started reading stuff like EJBs, CMP, BMP, Collection, Junit, design patterns. Obviously if u start studying 2 days before an exam u cannot hope to become well versed in the above mentioned nonsense. So we did what we do best. Tapped our sources who had already written the exam and asked them to prepare a question bank which contained the most important questions and studied only that. Not a single question made any sense to me. So we devised ways to remember and mug up the answers for all the questions.

Sample this. There was a question which said “what is the interface which allows operations on beans” whose answer was “javax.ejb.EJBObject” (EJB enthusiasts, DESIST from commenting!! :P )and three other questions which were exactly similar but had different answers. This was the conversation between my friend and me a day before the exam

Me: Yaar. I cant remember a single thing. I mean how will I remember that the entity allowing operations on beans is EJBObject and that which stores the state is EJBSession?

Friend: abey!! Simple hai. See. Look at the first question. One which allows Operations is EJBObject. Both have the letter “O” in them. So that’s the option. No other option has “O”. Ab second question dekh. One which stores the state in session. Both have the letter “S”. that’s the answer. Simple hai na??
She said with an all knowing air!!

I looked at her with new found respect, speechless, not knowing whether I should laugh coz I could now remember the answers or cry that the whole thing was nothing but an exercise in futility and if someone changed the question even slightly I would be lost.

After I finished the exam I proudly came out and messaged all my well wishers and told them. “Cleared. Got 76!!”. And even if a single one of them had replied asking “so!! This means u can start coding using EJBs right?” it would have been as absurd as asking Ricky Ponting after the Sydney Test “so!! This means u can conduct a seminar on sportsmanship right?”. :-\. I cant help but scream “What is the point of it all???”. Anyway do drop in your congratulations because, for whatever it is worth, I have just been promoted from Programmer analyst trainee to a programmer analyst!! And this also means that I am eligible to apply for visiting cards which bear my name and proudly proclaim Revathi Ramanan, Programmer Analyst. :P .

12 comments:

Arun said...

"amma naa pass aiytaen"
(revs running with cognizant tag fluttering high over head)

hehe congrats kiddo ! :D

Anonymous said...

/I have just been promoted from Programmer analyst trainee to a programmer analyst!!/

Congrats. I bet amma and appa is very proud of you.You deserve it.

Ramya

Kausikram Krishnasayee said...

does it make you eligible for the Ipods? ;)

GoodEarth said...

Hey Programmer Analyst, congratz man!! You deserve it! (for all the analysis you did 2 days before the exam :-) )

~Sowmini

Milinta said...

Programmer analyst?? which means you'll analyse fellow programmers??sorry yenaku arivu ivlo dhan :P)Gee... sounds so interesting lady!!!!

Sheks said...

Programmer analyst? So soon?

ashwin said...

thats why the ad sense was showing " Top java coder" . It has sensed that revathi raman has cleared her test :)

with regard to business cards, i got a bunch of 100 cards & only managed to disperse 5 cards (That too threatening my friends with a knife to take my card :) )

>>Jass said...

/*abey!! Simple hai. See. Look at the first question. One which allows Operations is EJBObject. Both have the letter “O” in them. So that’s the option. No other option has “O”. Ab second question dekh. One which stores the state in session. Both have the letter “S”. that’s the answer*/

L0L! Story of my life ;)

P.S:you spent two days studying? :O

Vignesh.r(edux) said...

I bet phase1 was even more fun...even the creators of java would have found it difficult..

Hey cheers i cleared it on the same day but jus 62(59 on d 1st try)N
Y don u publish it on your ch1 blog??:)

Revathi said...

@arun & ramya
Thanks!!

@kk
Sigh!! not really!! :(.

@Sowmini
Thankoooooo!!! :)

@mi
Thoo!! Onoda ariva pathi yennaku theriyum. Why show case it to the entire world!! And hey I have been “analysing” fellow programmers for a long time now if u know what I mean!! :P

@sheks
Soon??? Till last year ppl were becoming PA’s in 6 months. From this year onwards probation period has been made one year

@ashwin
Heh heh!! Which is why I safely did not apply for it!! :P. Thanks!! :)

@jass
Haan yaar. was scared I would fail!! :(

@vignesh
Hey congrats to u too!! And ch1?? No!! :)

Anonymous said...

HI

Seems that you are rocking with a swanky career in Cognizant. I have been looking for an opening in cognizant for the last 6 months
.

If there is any employee referral then kindly let me know

Anonymous SK

PS If you want to contact me, then plz send the referral to my friend
Virginia Campbell vcampbell1980@yahoo.com

Namita said...

BRAVO !! congrats on not-knowin-how-to-use-EJBs !! again.. which was the test tht u appeared for?? [:P]