Dear Hindu and Times,
Thanks to you
1. I know that Barack means blessing in Arabic
2. I know that Obama’s younger daughter suffers from certain allergies so they are very particular about the kind of dog they want
3. I know that Obama’s father was an Indonesian, he has roots in Kenya, his mother married an African American whom she later divorced and married an Indonesian
4. Thanks to u I know the first gaffe that Obama made, by talking about Nancy Reagan who did séances (she did not do séances. it was Hillary Clinton. that was the gaffe)
5. I know that Barack Obama’s mother had a keralite friend who sends her best wishes to Obama
6. I know that Sarah Palin is so dumb that she doesn’t know Africa is a continent. hu hu!! :-\
7. I know what his policies are, what he intends to do, when he will be sworn in etc
8. I know that he loved his grandmother and was devastated by her death and that she frequently passed racist comments
9. I know that McCain accepted defeat very gracefully and made a very touching speech
10. I know that Obama's slogan is “Yes we can” with everyone yelling “Yes we can”
But No thanks to you
1. I have no clue what pratibha or manmohan means
2. I just realized I don’t even know if manmohan Singh is married and who pratibha patil's husband is and if she has children or not and if those children have allergies or not or if they own a dog or not
3. When I don’t even know who their spouses were, how on earth will I know about their parents or their children??
4. I don’t even know what was the first speech that pratibha patil or manmohan singh made forget the "gaffes" in those
5. Ha ha ha ha. That would be my reaction if someone asked me to name the woman who was close friends with Pratibha Patils' mom
6. I don’t even know who stood against Pratibha Patil in the presidential election let alone the oppositions vice presidential nominee
7. I have no clue what Patil or Manmohan Singh's slogan during their elections was
Maybe you can argue saying Barack Obama is the first African American US president and hence the wide publicity. But wait a minute. Wasn’t pratibha patil the first woman president in India??
Why must we cover the US presidential elections so extensively?
On the day Obama got elected Hindu's front page, last page and the two sport pages were completely devoted to the US presidential elections with photos of people in Kenya celebrating, bush congratulating Obama.. Jeez!!!
Three days back the times on the front page had an article on Obama’s first speech and gaffe after becoming president.
What next? Thebrand of toilet paper he uses?
The brand of hair cream he uses???
Why is it so important for me to know what Bill Clinton names his dog and cat?
Do the US newspapers cover Indian election so extensively?
I don’t care if Obama’s daughter is allergic to dog hair or not (I just realized I don’t know if I am allergic to dog hair or not!!)
Hindu and Times, maybe u can change ur name to Washington Post and New York Times respectively
P.S: yeah!! You can argue saying I could have chosen not to read about Malia's allergies and sigh!! I guess its because of people like me that a country like the US is THE most over hyped country!! Am I a hypocrite? I don't know.
P.P.S: Pro-US people desist from leaving acerbic anonymous comments. Yeah!! you love your country and i love mine!!